Looking for a Job?
If you are looking for a job and do not have any plan then the whole process can be extremely stressful and tiring. When you are looking for a job many things look pointless like going out and handing resumes and making cold calls. These not only pull you down but also can be very hard on your self-confidence.
It is always suggested to be strategic in the job hunt that could strengthen you and give you the desired motivation to keep you going.
Tips you must do while you are looking for a job –
- Keep investigating opportunities even though you are employed: It becomes extremely stressful to look for a job option if you suddenly unemployed. Waiting until you’re unemployed obviously adds an additional layer of pressure to the job hunt. You should always be on a look put for opportunities while you’re still employed.
- Building personal brand: Rather than waiting for the perfect job to pop-up, use that time to build your personal brand which includes upgrading your image on social media, joining online and offline professional groups and connecting with professionals in related domain. Remember personal brand building requires time and commitment that requires following strategy for better output.
- Voluntary Assistance: In case your job search has moved beyond weeks into months then it is better to get hold of some volunteer work to strengthen your resume. You may take-up some short-term work that counts as an additional experience and helps boost your chances to land to your dream job.
- Get your resume perfected: You must customize your resume for each job you apply for. Take time to perfect your resume, to showcase your skills, education and experience. Always use unique cover letters for each position, with proper explanation of why you want the job and how you feel you can add value to the company.
- Take the job hunt seriously: You must not take your job hunt as an extended vacation as this not only hampers your profile but also extend your period of unemployment. Treat the search as a full-time job engaged in looking out for job, and create a plan to spend that time for betterment.
- Online course: You may take-up any online course or certification to hone your skills set. This will not only help you to hide the job search gap but also add value to your profile. Taking such short term certification/courses displays that you are motivated and willing to do what it takes to better yourself and get the right job.
- Take breaks: You must keep yourself busy and motivated while being unemployed, but it it’s also important to rest and give some relaxation to yourself. Job search can be a very stressful event, so it is crucial to take time out for yourself and relax.
- Let other’s know: You must let your friends and family know that you are on a look out for job, you never know who might just help you to get closer to job interview.
- Get on LinkedIn: Now a day, employers are increasingly using internet searches to look for potential employees. So use your LinkedIn profile wisely to be at the top of the search. Ensure to make your profile complete, accurately showcases your skills and experience. You can also ask your connections to endorse you and give professional recommendations.
Ensure to have a plan in place during your job search to keep yourself motivated, and also increase your chances of finding the perfect job. The strategies help build more connections, with improved skills and a strong personal branding.